We get a lot of wonderful things second-hand: hand me down furniture, vintage clothing, our mother’s high cheekbones, the family quilt, Grandma’s wedding ring. But what about motivation? Have you ever gotten any secondhand motivation?
I have. I get motivation all of the time from the various blogs that I read and follow. Since I’m still feeling sore from being prodded on by the doctor and sitting upright on this hip, I figured I’d share some second-hand motivation with you. I’m sorry I can’t remember where it all comes from, and there will be several of my favorites missing, particularly about writing.
- Every morning in the jungle a gazelle wakes up and knows it must out run the fastest lion or it will be killed….Every morning in the jungle a lion wakes up and knows it must out run the slowest gazelle or it will starve to death…the fact of the matter is…whether you are a lion or a gazelle…when the sun comes up….you better be RUNNING”~Mal Emory (via Gazelles on Cheetahs in Training)
- You can do anything for (30 min., an hour, etc)
- Just do it.
- Hearing all of your 5K, 10K, half-marathon, and marathon stories
- Phil 4:13
- My accountability partner’s (and others) weight loss story(ies).
- Eat:Watch:Run’s Monday Mini-Miracles
- Eat.Drink.Breathe.Sweat’s Two (Good) Things Tuesday.
- Choose ye this day
- “Because you never know where life is gonna take you and you can’t change where you’ve been. But today, I have the opportunity to choose.”
- That which doesn’t kill me makes me stronger
- Romans 7-8
- I don’t know if you’ll get it or not, but I find “Run, Fat Boy, Run” very motivational–and hilarious.
- “Now I’m stronger than yesterday…”
- This is the quote that I keep in mind while working on my memoir: Memory fails especially in small details, so that it becomes finally but a theory of my life, with much forgotten and misconceived, with valuable testimony but often less than absolutely true, despite my intention to be frank and fair.–WEB DuBois
What are some of your second-hand motivations? Have a first hand motivation you want to give to me? What keeps you going?
- Motivation is Not Enough. You Need a System to Go Green. (treehugger.com)
- IQ and Motivation (theness.com)
- IQ Tests Measure Motivation, Not Just Intelligence, Say Researchers (bbc.co.uk)
- Better be running (runimal800.wordpress.com)